Tuesday, September 01, 2009

Politically correct insanity!

Today I read yet another pile of rubbish on "political correctness". Apparently some people who do not have anything better to do sat down and thought really hard as to which everyday phrases could be, if you really, really try and use all your imagination, be interpreted as racist or sexist. Some these terrible slurs are “whiter than white”, “gentleman’s agreement”, “black mark” and “right-hand man”. one of the suggestions is to replace the phrase “black day” with “miserable day” because, as the article goes, the phrase "have no direct link to skin colour but potentially serve to reinforce a negative view of all things black". What the frack!? Exceuse me, but in all my knowledge the colour black has been interpreted as something bad throught all of Europe's history! The black plague, the black death, the colour of our clothes when we mourn - everything connected with grief is coloured black! And no, that has absolutely nothing to do with any people and their skin colour, be it white, black, yellow, red, green or magenta!

As for the sexist part - yes, I know there are a lot of phrases in the language that are sexist due to the sexism of our society in previous centuries. But never ever have I thought of the phrase "master bedroom" as of "the bedroom of the master" - I always thought of the "master" things as of the chief things, as in the master-servant relationship, not the master-mistress relationship. In the very same line of thought I wonder what would these politically correct idiots (it's still politically correct to call an idiot with this word, right?) would say if I were to name the master bedroom in my hotel (were I to own one) the "mistress bedroom"? I am quite sure that if I do that I will be immediately sued because the word "mistress" would undoubtedly be connected with its meaning "extramarital lover".

My own personal stand on this matter it that I will not use any words that I feel as insulting, demeaning or derogatory be it based on race, faith, disablity or anything similar. Meanwhile I will continue to use freely words that I feel lie so deep in the language that they are already stripped of any bias. I don't have any problem with a girl being my "right-hand man" and absolutely refuse to change the title of my university degree from "bachelor" or "master" to... well? What are you going to propose here, politically correct people ("ladies and gentlemen" being quite sexists, as it: a) puts the ladies in first place, indicating that they are weaker ot less important and should be tolerated more; b) puts the gentlemen in seond position giving advantage to the ladies; c) calling the male part of the audience "gentle" which may undoubtedly be connected with lack of manliness or might even be used as a qualitative description of a man with homosexual orientation [whom we cannot call a homosexual as this sounds like a pathological description])?

I would like to finish this statement of mine with the words of Marie Clair, spokeswoman for the Plain English Campaign, quoted in the original article: “Political correctness has good intentions but things can be taken to an extreme. What is really needed is a bit of common sense.”

Do not forget that the road to hell is paved with good intentions!

0 comments: